Like leaves dancing in the air in this beautiful autumn, FRCBA dancers are soaring and pirouetting through the studio, adding color and joy to life!
All of our auditioners will soon begin rehearsals for the Nutcracker Spanish Variation and for Performance Troupe. I am thrilled that we will have 7 dancers performing in Nutcracker and 4 or 5 in Performance Troupe. Be sure to mark your calendars to see our dancers in the Loveland Dance Academy Nutcracker on Dec. 9 & 10 at the Thompson Valley High School. We also anticipate a small-venue performance for all of our Nutcracker and Performance Troupe dancers in mid-December, so stay tuned for further information!
It's always great to gather as a ballet community to get to know each other and to share time as friends. If enough people are interested, we will have a Ballet Pot-Luck Gathering on Saturday, October 21 from 6-8:30 pm during which we will learn a little ballet trivia, play some ballet games, watch ballet videos, eat delicious food, and have FUN together!!! All students ages 8 through adult are welcome! Please sign up in advance by October 14 if you would like to attend and indicate what you’d like to bring. There will be a sign-up sheet on the dressing room door.
Saturday, October 14 from 1:30-3 pm, FRCBA is offering a special class on character dance steps. Classical ballets (e.g. Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Coppelia, etc.) commonly have character dances and/or incorporate character dance steps in their choreography. These movements, based upon the folk dances of many different nations and ethnic groups (although mostly European and Asian, given the origins and developmental history of ballet...), add diversity and color to the traditional ballet steps (indeed many of these also are based upon folk dance movements!). This class will introduce several of the more commonly used steps (e.g. polka, polonaise, mazurka, side cabrioles, and many more!) and we will put together a fun short folk dance using the steps we learn in this workshop. The class is appropriate for ages 8 through adult of any level. The cost is $15 in advance or $20 on October 14
As often happens at the beginning of a new season of classes, it has been necessary to shift around the class schedule a little. Please note the following changes:
- Ballet I (7-11 years) is now Saturday mornings at 9:30 am
- Ballet II (8-11 years) has been cancelled
- Friday evening Intermediate Ballet Technique and Pointe have been cancelled
- Tuesday evening Intermediate Ballet Technique is now from 6:30-8:00 pm; if there are at least 3 people interested, a Pointe class will be added from 8:00-8:30 pm (Thus far two students are interested, so we only need one more!!)
- Saturday afternoon Pointe and Variations will take place at the regular FRCBA studio from 1-1:45 pm. The Contemporary Dance Academy needs to reclaim their studio space by 12:15 pm on Saturdays now to run their Nutcracker rehearsals for the next couple of months.
To receive these blogs in your email inbox each month, please subscribe on the website!